Thursday, September 20, 2007

Myspace

I do agree that Myspace is a social network. It allows people from all over the world to interact and be connected to each other. For the most part I am not a fan of myspace. I feel it is overrated and taken over my 13 year olds talking about how there like totally sucks. I feel it might be doing more harm then anything. This could increase the problems we already have with children being exploded online. There is no age limit and anybody can view your site and see what you write. I know you can say well don't type personnel information but 13 y/o don't really understand that and shouldn't be on these kind of sites.

4 comments:

Kristine said...

I agree to a point. I personally do not have an account with them but my family uses it. It is a good way to keep in contact with my family.
But.... my 12 year old made an account with them (without my consent) and after seeing what older men were writing to her, her website was pulled real quick. So yes, I agree with exploitation on young children through myspace. No place for children!

Megan H said...

Seems like most of the people I have read from this class have all agreed that MySpace has done more harm like you said. I feel it is nothing but a trouble maker. You do have a point about international interaction and what not, but at the same time like Kristine posted, sometimes it gets into the wrong hands and can be dealt with improperly.

Barbara said...

Bryana, I understand your concerns for your 13 year old. That's a hard enough age in itself and the kids are so impressionable and have that burning desire to fit in. They say that there are filters and age limits set, but kids find ways to get around that. There have got to be better and stricter regulations for this sites. I know it is a popular site and the owner of if probably makes a ton of money from it, but at what price, our kids youth.

Anonymous said...

I believe that sites like this can be great for those trying to keep in contact with each other but children on these sites can be dangerous. I guess it all boils down to parents monitoring their childrens internet activity.